Saturday 5 July 2008

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Spyway! ('47 to '53)

What memories ! All conquering rugger side under (Sir) Alan Outram - Tea with (Lord) David Sainsbury - being stabbed by the (Earl) Charlie Shelburne (heck we were posh)- filching a whole packet of tobacco from Geoffrey's stache and smoking myself sick up a tree in the Drove - cricket team scoring 12 all out against Forres (Geoffrey drove us behind Nine Barrow Down and made us walk home then proceeded to mow the grass with the Jeep all night long in the ugliest rage I ever saw) - Eric's hairbrush......the most painful instrument of torture ever devised - dreaded Dancing Ledge before I could swim then absolutely loved it when I learnt - the rest after lunch in summer lying on my tartan rug between the upper and lower pitches reading Biggles. Lobster at the Trocadero when mum and dad came down to take me out. Pedalos at Studland. The smell of Hadrel and linseed oil in the carpentry shop. The walk to Tom's Pole on a blowy winter's day. The smell of cricket balls in the porch. That spine tingling thrill when Eric came in to morning prayers with a list of pupils to ask us how we were going home and how our luggage was going. Then the sweets and the taxis and the little train from Swanage and with one bound we were FREEEEEEEEE!

4 comments:

spywayschoolwarner said...

I don't believe that someone else remembers being stabbed by Charlie Shelburne! With the point of a compass, in the upper arm. I will never forget his doing it to me, but I didn't realize he made a habit of it. A sweet boy. Noblesse n'obligeait pas.

I have more to say. I'm amazed to find this blog.

Ned (formerly Edward) Lyttelton ('52-'57)

Anonymous said...

So, Edward (Ned) Lyttelton you are still around, although it had been said that you were lost in Canada! Nobody could say at PSHL's funeral, though I asked. You beat me to Head Boy in 1957, because of my misdemeanours. I still have a photo of you covered in blood walking a broken bicycle up our drive! And remember other occasions at m'tutors when you were riding high. You will know who I am, so will know how to get in touch. After much time o'seas I am in UK and would love to hear from you.

spywayschoolwarner said...

I only heard about this blog yesterday from my elder brother. I was also stabbed by Charlie - around the same time as Ned: that was after I graciously helped him with some Latin grammar sentences!
Tim Benthall ('52 - '57)

Unknown said...

It would be lovely to get in touch with anyone who remembers William Hare (and his brother Michael). I am William's daughter and trying to help him with his rapidly advancing dementia. One thing that makes him feel good is old memories.
Thank you so much to whoever created this blogspot and for all the memories and photographs. Dad can remember a great number of the faces from 47-51 if you would like me to try and get a note of them?
Dad has very happy memories of Spyway. If there are any pupils out there from this era I'd love to hear from you (nomadtoria @gmail.com).
Thanks again, Toria