Wednesday 2 December 2009

A History Essay (Dark Blue Exercise Book)



A former Eton schoolmaster called Thomas Pellatt, who had married an heiress named Ellinor Thomas, bought the “Little Manor” called Durnford from the impoverished Rogers family in 1893.
Pellatt eventually went on to build Spyway for one of his daughters to run.“T.P” as he was known, converted the outbuildings of Durnford House into a preparatory school which became very famous.
T.P, along with his wife and two daughters, lived at Durnford Manor House. The school prepared exclusively for Eton, and was in its day seen as “progressive”. Many of the British aristocracy sent their sons to Durnford where they either adored or hated T.P.
He was a violent bully and could not abide sensitive boys or those who were homesick or did not excel at sport. Sons of German Counts and Barons appeared at Durnford in the years prior to World War I, and between the wars several members of foreign royalty, such as the King of Siam and the Hashemite princes.
The estate of Durnford stretched from a little settlement calledMount Pleasant, immediately north of the kitchen gardens of the school, to the cliffs at Dancing Ledge to the south.
The long straight bounds of this manor can still be seen at the east boundary of Spyway's grounds and the wall on the west side of Durnford Drove.
In 1910 Tom Pellatt got a quarryman to blast a swimming pool out of the rock at Dancing Ledge, near the water line, so that it could be filled up by the sea. He fixed a huge iron grille over the top, which was locked when the boys of the school were not actually using the bath; but the first storm took it away, and from then on it has been open to public use.
The boys (who included Ian Fleming, author of the James Bond books, and his brother) had to bathe in the nude. The Pellatts practised nudity in their garden, much to the amusement of the villagers.
So the grounds of Spyway were in the Durnford Estate and rented out to the farmer at Spyway Barn. Of the Pellatts’ two daughters one was beautiful, like Ellinor , and the other was not. The latter adored her father and wanted to run a school herself, but this was forbidden in those days by unwritten laws of what daughters of the upper class might do.
But when she married one of her father’s ex-pupils - one of whom Pellatt had been especially fond - she asked her father to build her a boys boarding school. Her husband, Nigel Chapman, would be the titular head, but she would actually run it.
TP built her Spyway house, putting in the diagonal glazing bars for which Durnford House and school were well known. The building was according to Mrs Hester Chapman’s specification: the school was to be small and intimate and totally dependent upon her. Hence its rather strange lay-out.
The marriage was more or less doomed to failure from the start, and Nigel began to look elsewhere for affection, and scandal and divorce followed at a time when divorce was something quite extraordinary.
Mrs Chapman left to live in London, becoming the world famous author of historical fiction under her own name Hester Chapman. All members of this remarkable family are now dead except for John Durnford Clayton, the son of the younger (beautiful) daughter of T.P, who died of an overdose of barbiturates. He sometimes visits the village.
Spyway School also used the Dancing Ledge swimming pool. Its uniform was grey flannel shorts, navy blue blazers and jersey and pale blue ties and caps. Durnford School wore grey with scarlet caps, ties and garters (as worn by Cub Scouts). Durnford School was founded in 1893, Spyway School in 1927.
When the Chapmans left in 1935, their school was sold to two brothers named Warner (Eric and Geoffrey), both of whom had been up to that time assistant masters at Durnford School. Under the Warners, the school took on a very Spartan regime: cold water, no soap, one blanket, no curtains.
In 1975, Eric died after becoming over excited on the touch line at a rugby match against another school and the death duties were so enormous that Geoffrey was forced to sell up in 1976 and retire to France.
The school premises were then sold to International House, and an international school was run there for some time in the late 1970s with boys from Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Syria and Egypt.
The worsening political situation in the Middle East left the international school high and dry, so it was sold to AMI as a psychiatric unit for young people. The psychiatric unit changed the name to Langton House, dropping the old name of Spyway, which people in the village tend to prefer and use without thinking.
The name Spyway is derived from Spy Hill to the south. Durnford Drove, which is of course the ancient track way from the Cowleaze to the farm of Durnford which used to be in the centre of the village, leads to Spy Hill, and was therefore known in its southerly reaches as Spy Way.
Spy Hill gets its name from the smuggling activities in the little manor of Durnford during the period 1780-1870. The smugglers’ look-out was posted on this hill, which commands a good view of the surrounding countryside, and especially the cliff path from St Aldhelm’s Head to the lighthouse near Swanage.

This is the 'history' of Spyway, as available in the reception area at what is now known as Langton House.

18 comments:

sussexpellett said...

The younger (beautiful) daughter of T.P, who died of an overdose of barbiturates: Betha Wolferstan Clayton, married (2) Tom Harrisson.
recommended read:
Judith Heimann: the Most Offending Soul Alive

Rupert Butler said...

Participants may be interested in the museum of the Langton Matravers Local History and Preservation Society which can be reached here:

http://www.langtonia.org.uk/

Their archive includes the following documents (reference number in brackets), which may apparently only be accessed on site:

(1) Article by Godfrey Winn in 1932 on the Warner brothers, headmasters of Spyway School, Langton Matravers. (1/942).

(2) Prospectus of Spyway School, Langton Matravers, 1978. (1/944).

(3) Langton Bakery’s Ingredients of Hester Pellatt’s Wedding Cake, 1925. (1/945).

(4) ’The Cuckoo Suite’:5 Piano Pieces for Beginners by Eileen Warner, music mistress at Spyway School for Boys, Langton Matravers. Published by Lengnick.(1/1160).

(5) Notes on the WW2 Secret Resistant Unit of Langton Matravers. (1/1336).

(6) Timetable of Spyway School for Boys, Langton Matravers, under the Warner brothers. Undated. (Measures 16 x 12.7 cm). (1/2077).

These are the ones that took my fancy. I am prepared to be disappointed in case the Warners do not feature in 1/1336.

If anyone gets to Langton Matravers and gets to see these documents, would they ask nicely if Edward might include them in this blog ? The list published on the museum website is perhaps a tenth part of the documents held, so further enquiries should be fruitful.

Andrew Norman said...

He wasn't just a nudist in the garden - my grandmother, who worked as a servant at Durnford in the late twenties, says he would walk through the kitchen in the morning to collect some milk without a stitch of clothing on him. I thought that was exaggeration until I read this.

dominic said...

Very interesting to hear that potted history of Spyway. My father, Uncle and grandfather were all at Durnford. We had a photo of nude bathing at the Ledge circa 1910. I didn't know that E & G taught at Durnford. I thought that there was another family who ran Spywaypost-Pellatt - Lee-Elliott was it?

More generally, I sometimes cannot believe that Spyway actually existed or decide whether it was a madhouse, a brilliant school or (probably) both. Interested to hear the comments of others. I witnessed the 56 y/o headmaster setting off to bathe with the 19 y/o undermatron before the engagement was announced. There wasn't much prep done that night!

bw to all!

Michael Barnes said...

My uncle Ivor Haddrell worked at Spyway School in the 1950's after he left the RAF. He was employed as a gardener/handyman. My uncle & aunt lived at spyway cottage which was owned by the Warners. I spent many a happy a summer holiday there as a child & I remember they had a teacher renting a room in their house. He taught at Spyway - his name was Michael Bailey.
Note from Michael Barnes March 2011

Edward Lee-Elliott said...

Yes - Dominic - you are right about Lee-Elliott taking over Durnford from Pellatt. He was my father, Christopher, who married the Matron, my mother Evelyn. I went to Spyway in 1947 since Durnford had been closed. Spyway a madhouse? It was what the Warners thought was good and right and in many many ways it was. I loved it.

ruth said...

Good to discover this....it will help us all to be believed when we tell stories of the place! Definitely both a mad-house and a wonderful school. Chopping logs & lighting fires, freedom with responsibility - brilliant....history lessons devoted to how right Ian Smith was in Rhodesia - less so! I would love to know whether the Warners knew of Rudolf Steiner (perhaps even met him - he did visit Swanage). The idea that it is not appropriate to teach science before the age of 13 is a tenet of Steiner education (Latin grammar from age 8 certainly isn't though!)

Toby Chadwick said...

Good to discover this....it will help us all to be believed when we tell stories of the place! Definitely both a mad-house and a wonderful school. Chopping logs & lighting fires, freedom with responsibility - brilliant....history lessons devoted to how right Ian Smith was in Rhodesia - less so! I would love to know whether the Warners knew of Rudolf Steiner (perhaps even met him - he did visit Swanage). The idea that it is not appropriate to teach science before the age of 13 is a tenet of Steiner education (Latin grammar from age 8 certainly isn't though!)

Mehrdad said...

Hi, I attended "Spyway International School" from 1978 to 1981. In you post you mentioned the international school was run there for some time in the late 1970s with boys from Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Syria and Egypt!
This is incorrect.
In fact, there were also a handful of girls and the majority of the students were from Iran (due to the Iranian revolution 1978 and Iran-Iraq War). Only two students from Saudi Arabia, Two from Syria, eight Libyans, one Bahraini and one Lebanese attended the School through out its existence. There were also a few very young Nigerian and Thai students. Iranians are not Arabs by the way.
The international school moved to Hasting in 1983. In 1990 the Headmaster Norman Wingfield and a House master were charged with sexual assaults. Norman Wingfield committed suicide on the day of his court appearance.
I am administrator of Facebook closed group "Spyway International School" and there are many photos of that period.
I am very pleased to have found this blog page and thanks for sharing your memories and photos.
The

Anonymous said...

I was an assistant schoolmaster at Spyway for the spring term in 1966 whilst it was under the Warners. I thought the place a very strange set-up - I knew about prep schools as I had been at one myself - but Spyway was small and quirky. My main memory is of another supply teacher (a law student) who formed a relationship with the assistant matron (female). They were not allowed to be seen together by the boys so I had to walk with them until they were out of sight at which point I returned to the school and left them to their own devices! I think I am right in thinking they did in fact marry! The restriction did not seem fair as the senior matron was well known to be carrying on with another master! There was another master who retained his title of Major.

Anonymous said...

Comments found elsewhere, which sums up my view of the place

17:47:15 The crisis of my early life was when a new nanny was due to arrive; we were living in a place called Robin Lodge in Sandhurst because my father had been an instructor there; I must have been about four, and I left the house and walked down the street and eventually found myself at the gates of Sandhurst; the sentry on duty told me to stay where I was as he wasn't allowed to move, and when his duty ended he found somebody to take me home; in the meantime my mother had been composing a letter in her head to my father to tell him that she had lost me; of course I had been told about this later but I do remember the new nanny arriving and having marmite for tea, and that is about it; I went to a lovely school taught by a woman called Miss Watson in Balcombe, Sussex; I have still got some of her reports; I thrived at that school because she was a marvellous teacher; Balcombe Mill is where Virginia Woolf killed herself; then I went to a Prep school called Spyway, in Dorset, in Langton Matravers; I have very mixed feelings about that school; it had some good things about it as it was extraordinarily advanced in its understanding of ecological issues, being green and natural, way before its time; it had two Headmasters, brothers, who ran the school, both bachelors, who seemed obsessed with success in games as a way of defining how successful the school itself was; by the time I was thirteen I saw through this and thought it absurd; quite a lot of my time there I was not particularly happy and I was very glad to leave; it was a boarding school, and although I was not particularly lonely, I did not like rugger or swimming; I disliked the latter as I found being thrown into the sea so terrifying; I have been back to the Dancing Ledge where we were taught to swim and, for someone who couldn't swim, it is quite an alarming place to have to enter the water; one associates fear of water with cold as well; heated swimming pools hardly existed in the late 1940s; I do remember three teachers - Mr Gray who taught classics, was a wonderful teacher, Mr Broom who taught geography and mathematics, was the father of the actress Googie Withers; I liked the science master, Mr Bailey, and what really impressed me was that he was building a dinghy himself in a workshop in Swanage, and we would go to see how he was getting on; I did like cricket and was Captain of the under 11s but the Warner brothers decided I didn't bowl correctly and by thirteen had put me off cricket completely; I started to take photographs with a box Brownie when I was ten and I still have the negatives from my days at Spyway, in fact I have all my negatives; books and reading were probably the things I enjoyed most; Mr Geoffrey, the younger of the Headmasters, with the new boys in their first winter term would always start with 'Moonfleet' by J. Meade Faulkner; it is still one of my favourite books and has a Jungian undertone that one does not realise as a child; I have read it to my own children who have absolutely no intention of reading it to their children as they can't really see the point of it; Eric, the other Headmaster, read Conan Doyle's 'The White Company', which I also enjoyed; being read to I always thought was magical; we hardly did any music apart from singing

The Ghost of Old Tom Pellatt said...

Thanks for the comment left on 4th December 2016. Please get in touch to see if there's a way of sharing your Brownie photos.
eye2eye222@aol.com

Oliver said...

I am very interested to read these blog posts and comments about Durnford and Spyway school Is there anybody who remembers being at Durnford while Tom Pellatt was headmaster? I have read conflicting accounts about what the school was like in the 1910s and 1920s, ranging from a tyrannical place to a nurturing environment. I am very interested in hearing more about what the school was actually like under "TP" and whether his love of nature was reflected in the curriculum.

Oliver said...

I was very interested to read about these experiences at Durnford Prep school and Spyway School. Does anyone remember what the school was like while Tom Pellatt (TP) was headmaster in the 1910s and 1920s? I realize that this is going a long way back, but perhaps someone can enlighten me about the school experience as I have read conflicting accounts. Many thanks!

Jonathan Pullen said...

J.L.S. Pullen. Very interesting to read this as my three maternal uncles, Laurence Stanley Parke (1890-1940), Walter Evelyn Parke (1891-1914) and John Aubrey Parke (1892-1915) were pupils there. From a few faded photographs in their father's scrap book, it would appear that the Dancing Ledge swimming pool had been blasted out by quarry men before 1910. I have certainly heard conflicting accounts about Durnford School but I heard from relatives that my uncles were happy there.The eldest boy, L.S.Parke went on to Wellington College and died of a 'stroke' whilst police commissioner in Aden, 1940. Walter and John, who followed their father to Winchester College, were k.i.a. I'm currently assisting Laurence's grandson in Queensland, AU with a Parke family book. I would add that my mother's family was not an aristocratic one; nor did my uncles spend any of their school days at Eton College. I corresponded with the late, lamented Roger Deakin, environmentalist, polymath and author of 'Waterlog', etc. because he appeared to assume that the Warner brothers at Spyway had the swimming pool blasted out. He thanked me for pointing out and would have corrected this in a later edn. but he sad died in his early 6os. I do recall that a relative of mine married a chap called Brinsley Sheridan who once taught at Spyway. An unpredictable man who 'showed me the door' when I called in once!

John DURNFORD Clayton said...

Hello ALL: I amn THE John Clayton noted in the article about my Grandfather Thomas Pellatt and my Granny (his wife Emmie) and as I am writing a book about my life, I'd absolutely love to hear from anyone with anecdotes of marvelous stories about either "Gar" (as I called him when I was with them at Tenantrees thier wonderful home near Dorchester.

Please email me at jdcradio@gmail.com -- please do so as soon as you can. I write this on June 6th, 2020.

John DURNFORD Clayton said...

Hello ALL: I amn THE John Clayton noted in the article about my Grandfather Thomas Pellatt and my Granny (his wife Emmie) and as I am writing a book about my life, I'd absolutely love to hear from anyone with anecdotes of marvelous stories about either "Gar" (as I called him when I was with them at Tenantrees thier wonderful home near Dorchester.

Please email me at jdcradio@gmail.com -- please do so as soon as you can. I write this on June 6th, 2020.

edward hoare said...

Completely off-piste - I still have and use the penknife my father, Rennie Hoare had at Durnford in the early 1900s. Also off-piste - Ian Fleming (Durnford) introduced my father Rennie Hoare (Durnford) to my mother at a party at Goldeneye in the mid 1940s.