Thursday 31 May 2012

The Railway Children

I was at Spyway from winter 1973 until it closed, after Mr Eric's death, in 1976.
I won't forget the roller skate mayhem in the barn, the "yobbos" firing air gun pellets at us from 'The Drove', the threat of going to join the school at the end of the road (the Old Malthouse), where I would have to wear a green cap with a little gold star. 
I shall also never forget the food: I shall never eat porridge again.  
Sunday afternoon tea, after roaming as far as Corfe Castle, seems unimanaginable in today's "'elf and safety" society. And what about the Friday evening treat of the model railway room at the top of the stairs on the right? 
(Rupert M-T)







CLICK TO ENLARGE

1 comment:

Nick Gough said...

My father was there at the start of WWII. Has anyone got any more photos of the model railway or any of the 1920s Delage that he remembers one of the Warners driving?